View Single Post
      07-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Given it looks like you will be getting a new car in the UK (or new to you), whats your budget. Looking at elasing or buying?
I've a 530d msport and agree with MAC B about the straight six. Its a loverly engine and you relly only know its a diesel at idle and intial pull away.
Mine has passed the runnning in period and so I've started to put my foot down more (but still not full throttle) and its acceleration is amazing. It is so effortless the whole time. 70mph requires just 1500rpm.
I put a load of options on mine but that does inflate the price considerably.
Very economical for a 3 litre.

If the 520d is more your thing, a lot of people here giving it rave reviews.
I'd guess the 520d probably accounts for 85-90% of 5 series sold in the UK (Thats just my guess, no facts to back that up!) so if looking for nearly new, there will be plenty of them around. I've also seen the bigger engines around used at BMW dealerships and these are probably a good deal. Seen a few 550is but you will need deep pockets to fund its thirst in the UK! Quite a rare car I think.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you push hard when you negiotiate the price, they seem to have quite a good discount on them now, I got 11% off mine and I'm sure others on this forum will have similar and possibly better figures.
Appreciate 0