07-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Is that vapour barrier glue the yellow-y stinky stuff that I find in the "holes" of my car?

I was in Vegas when it was 118 degrees and some of that yellow "glue" (more like a hardened "oil" that I see in the little crevice holes of my car) puked out of a tiny hole at the bottom of my inner trunk lid. It was a pain to clean off due to how oily it was and the little trail it left left some oxidation on my bumper (can't really see it but it looks like the surface-imprint i.e slight fade where it was that you see from bird crap).
Nope. The vapour barrier glue is black gooey stuff that stays soft (until it's all dried out). It's kind of like acoustic sealant, or butyl tape, or 3M window weld (some of the things DIYers use to perform the repair). It doesn't go anywhere, it just dries out and/or gets contaminated and isn't tacky enough to properly attached the barrier any longer.

An important point is that it's normal to have INCHES of water in the doors at some times (heavy rain, car washes). This barrier keeps it out of the interior while it works its way out of the door drains.
Appreciate 0