View Single Post
      12-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCE90DRIVER View Post
BMW is the only one doing this right now and it has not been mandated by any Government.
I agree with your assessment of the Auto start/stop feature but your conclusion above , in my opinion, is probably wrong.
Have you noticed the increase in sticker gas mileage on the '12 over the '11 535? I mean, it's the same engine! So, what's up with that?
Probably due to some perceived gas savings coming from the addition of the Auto-Start/stop feature. My guess is that if BMW allows the Auto start/stop feature to be driver selectable to permanently Off, they would not, by EPA rules ("the government"), be allowed to advertise that MPG increase.
The reason I'm lead to that conclusion is because the M3 has also recently had an auto start/stop feature installed. There was, however, no increase in advertised MPG over models of previous years with the same engine. I believe that's the case because, in the M3, the feature can be permanently disabled by the driver.
I feel the same way you do about the effects of the feature on engine wear and would enthusiastically petition BMW to allow it to be permanently turned off by the driver. But you need to be prepared for what your up against.
Appreciate 0