Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting findings from the garage.

What sort of use does the car typically get, many decent (hot engine) cruises?

Just a thought, what diesel do you use? I'd be using a premium diesel with a decent additive package, do you have something like BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power which we get in the UK?

HighlandPete
I'm back and I have collected the car, but first.
I live in Norway, we do not have anything but premium fuel. There are some crazy standards here so, bottom line we don't get sub standard cheap fuel and I guess that is why we pay $2.44us/£1.51/€1.9 for one liter of Petrol/Gasoline, Diesel is slightly cheaper, about 5%.
We have 95 and 98 RON (98 is slowly disappearing), which is equivalent 91 and 93 US. We do have V-power but that is just some additives that Shell claim make your car better,Esso (Exxon Mobil) has something similar that claims too keep your engine cleaner, but at the end of the day there in very little difference in price and quality.
As for Diesel, there are two types, Taxed and un-taxed. Un-taxed is for boats, tractors and basically diesel powered utilities, this is colored red, so if you get caught with that in your car, shame on you, now pay a ridiculous fine for cheating the government from its taxes.
The taxed auto diesel is just one grade, and in the winter they add something due to the cold weather conditions.

So fuel quality is not an issue.

Back to my car.

I have collected it, and was given the whole story.
Now, since this was a warranty issue, the shop was under BMW's guidance on this, so the troubleshooting and parts changed was dictated by BMW not the local Tech.
But this is the list.
-Regular troubleshooting, sending data to BMW.
-Replaced X-drive transfer box, slight improvement.
-Updated to latest software - no change
-Tested car with wheels from a different F11 too rule out any wheel issues my wheels are OEM 19" with OEM tires - no change.
-Replaced diesel injectors - issue solved.

Upon replacing the injectors it was found that two of them had some sot buildup on them. Also the intakes had higher sot buildup than normal.
I was told not to use eco-pro, and use sport more often to get the engine hot and drive it aggressively from time to time to clean out out. Guess the 2-2500rpm's in sport mode is there for a reason.

My impressions:
Issue is solved, the car appears to be more responsive, especially in comfort. The lag between applying throttle from standstill and the car moving is a lot better, and it felt more powerful at lower rpm's.
I would contribute this to the two bad injectors, I have obviously had two cylinders not performing its best.
Why these injectors failed I do not know, could have been a malfunction, bad batch of injectors, or the driving style of the previous owner.

Now lets just hope it will stay this way.

The car is my daily driver, I do very little inner city driving, mostly country roads and motorways.
As I said, I got this car back in May, has done about 2000km so I have filled it up 3 times
Appreciate 0