View Single Post
      06-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #86
Mike Pond
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d GT

Excessive rear tyre wear on my 2014 520d GT

As with those before, I was shocked that after 11 months and just 13k miles, both my rear Goodyear Excellence tyres on 20" rims all but disintegrated. Fortunately I was only doing about 40mph on an A road when part of the inside wall of the passenger side rear tyre came away and started thrashing the wheel arch causing me to pull over and examine the damage. This was only visible by getting under the back of the car, not pleasant at the side of the road but wasn't going to drive on until I knew what was making the terrible noise. I removed the rubber "whip" from the tyre and limped to my BMW dealership.
I was greeted with the same response that those before had encountered and was told that I hadn't checked my tyre pressures enough and the wear was normal. This was without even looking at the car !! I was then told it would be £600 for 2 new Goodyear tyres that weren't in stock and to come back the following day when they would be fitted.
Slightly shell shocked I walked back to work and checked if any other 5 series GT drivers had experienced the same. How glad I am that I checked!!! Thanks to the evidence gained from this site I was able ask the dealership to change the order to Pirelli P Zeros and negotiate a half charge ( I had done 13K miles on the tyres already, about half what I would have expected them to have done). My concern is that after 5 years of this being discussed on this forum and BMW obviously admitting on occasions that the Goodyears are not fit for purpose on the 5 GT, why they are still being fitted to new cars and the dealerships oblivious to the problem??
Thank you to all those that have posted before in helping me resolve this and not spending silly money on Geometry, suspension and tracking checks.
I will be contacting two other 5 GT owners that I have seen locally to warn them of the possible safety risk they face.
Appreciate 0