View Single Post
      07-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
hoganzdad
Rep
Drives: '09 e92, IB/Beige, M-DCT

They are two very different beasts. I've owned two E60s and now have an 09 M3 (Coupe, Interlagos Blue, M-DCT, etc.). And I have recently driven both the F10 535i and 550i. The M3 is a high-performance, high-revving, high-profile (and, in the long term, high-maintenance) sports car that is phenomenal both on the track and as a daily driver. It will turn heads and get attention every time you take it out (I love the looks from all angles). You'll go through tires every 12K to 15K miles. It absolutely sticks to the road in the twisties. It is ok at low revs but astounding over 3.5K rpms and is a hoot to drive. Everyone should own one at least once. It is a good deal smaller and if you are over 6' (I'm 6'2) that could make a difference.

The F10 has moved the 5-series a bit away from sportiness and towards luxury. It seems to be a great car in its own right. But, even with some ///M-dressing, by no means is it a high performance vehicle bordering-on-super-car like the M3. I thoroughly enjoyed driving both the F10 535i and 550i but, like you, am not blown away by its looks (not sure if I would look over my shoulder at it in a parking lot...). And the F10 (either engine) seems to pack more punch than the M3 at the lower rpms. But the added weight (from the E60) seems to work against the sportiness a bit - especially in the twisties. Having said all that, I am seriously considering moving to the F10 from the M3 some time next year. I've had my fun and now want to go back to something a bit larger. Both are great cars. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by hoganzdad; 07-19-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0