Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Are you saying to bypass removing the rubber strip and the hex bolt and just use a flat scredriver and pry the grilles out?

On our grills, there are no bolts, screws or anything other than clips holding the grills into the bumper (and it doesnt look like yours do either). So why do you need to remove screws and bolts when they don't do anything to hold the pieces in?

So, the tabs that slide into the slots that surround the cavity the grills fit into and the only things you need to pop out. Stick a flathead screwdriver in between the slits in the grill, or a hooked tool, and press down on each tab, gently pulling the grill towards you (to prevent the tabs you just popped out from snapping back in). As you work your way around, the grill piece will eventually pop out.

The directions from BMW on our grill installation also include removing the screws and rubber seal, but as more and more people have done the install on our 1ers, we've figured out that those steps are pointless. Some brave souls just take a firm grip on the grills and just yank them out without damaging the bumper at all.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0