View Single Post
      03-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #30
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Every time I go to my indy shop there are at least two N63 powered BMW's in there completely fucked.
Made me lol.

Also, I'm not now nor ever buying the line about the rod bearings on the S54 being "maintenance" items. It was shitty design plain and simple, and nowhere in the owner's manual or anything else with "BMW" on it does it say to change the damned things every 50k miles.

I love my Z4M to death, but nearly every time I drive it I still have that thought in the back of my head "Was that a knock?". Mine has 75k miles on it now, and I'm rolling the dice. There are tons of examples of S54s with well over 120k miles on the stock bearings. I also don't pound the crap out of my car, don't track it, and always allow the oil to heat up before I go over 3k RPMs. A nice Z4M owner here on the forums last year changed his bearings out of preventative maintenance, the shop screwed it up, and his motor blew. It's been a nightmare for him ever since, and has reinforced the idea to me that if ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by NickyC; 03-23-2017 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00