View Single Post
      11-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #9
AC_S5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
It turned out to be a small nail (1mm dia) thats why the leakage was very slow. The tire barely has run 5K km, since I don't know for how long the car was riding on this leaking tire (this car sits at home more than 50% of the week), I decided to take a chance and got it repaired with a plug.

It was a mistake to trust the flat tire monitor to report any pressure loss. The same system works great in my non-RFT VW car. I plan to get an after-market TPMS fitted (Orange or Hella TPMS).

What was BMW thinking by giving this lame system on cars equipped with RFTs - it is simply useless and gives a false sense of security.
As you have seen in the above post. The FTM can pick up a slow leak for non RFT because it can sense the change in diameter of the tires. For RFT, it is impossible to pick up the change unless there is a huge variance in tire pressure ie 30 psi vs 10-15 psi.

I think the VW sensor will not pick up a slow leak on vehicle equipped with RFT unless it is fitted with a TPMS. So again is not a design flaw, the FTM does it job by letting you know when there's a flat tire. When you hear the warning, you are suppose to drive slowly (80km/h or below) to get the tire change. So I don't think you will be put in great danger by the system.

I would just ditch the RFT and go with non RFT and a mobility kit.
2005 E60 523i, 1999 E39 523i, 1998 E46 323i
Appreciate 0