View Single Post
      06-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Actually, as I said, the only issue I have to resolve concerns the attitude of the insurers - obviously they would need to be informed of the change so that there would be no risk of an accident claim being refused because of "unauthorised modification".
I wondered whether anybody had actually been through this process and what their insurer's attitude had been.

Apart from the jolty ride from the stiff sidewalls, and their high price, it is the very poor availablility of RF tyres both in the UK and abroad (especially France I hear) which would cause a big problem in the event of a puncture; I often make long trips in remote places (eg Scottish Highlands and rural France) where the recommended 50 mile RF distance with a puncture might not even get you to the nearest village garage, never mind an establishment that stocks and can fit RF tyres - with a conventional tyre and a spare wheel (yes, I plan to carry one) you can continue your journey (after about 20 minutes to change the wheel) until you can get the puncture mended are buy a new one in any decent-sized town.
Appreciate 0