View Single Post
      08-21-2013, 03:02 AM   #20
Flushingmeadows
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Picked the car up yesterday as planned - overall very impressed with the drive and quality of build.

This is my 14th consecutive BMW so I know what to expect. I'll try and work out how to upload pictures later.

The advance in technology is incredible, the speed of the iDrive and sat nav has come a long way - the clarity of the pro nav screen is excellent. I even like the new touchpad controller with handwriting recognition - what I thought would be a gimmick actually works really well, even as a right hander "writing" with my left.

Drives exactly as I expected it to - m sport suspension - firm but not rock hard - steady round the twisties, not in the league of my outgoing E92 M3, but didn't want it to be.

Power is more than sufficient and probably better for every day use than my old M's - do miss the sounds of an M though.

The new M steering wheel is lovely, can't understand the complaints from our US cousins about it - I think it feels great and opens up the black panel display really well.

Camera technology is great - good quality pictures and resolution - again another potential gimmick that's has exceeded my expectations. Same for HUD.

I've not driven it at night yet so don't know what version of Adaptive lights and high beam assist are fitted - just the on/off ones or the clever version as seen on the 3 series - hope it's the latter.

Overall I'm delighted - the cabin of a 5 series is a great place to spend your time. For those of you waiting, it's worth the wait.
Appreciate 0