03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #53
cchase
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD535 View Post
Hi All,
Took delivery 7/26/10. Obeyed the break-in rules obsessively and am an all-around fairly conservative driver.
8,400 miles and Car "bings" and says "Engine Malfunction: Reduced Power. Engine restart not possible after stop. Drive directly to the nearest BMW Service Center or stop safely and call BMW Assist."
I obeyed it and drove straight there. The advisor was doubtful and told me it was probably just a problem with the remote control. He shut it off, and found out that the car was not lying...restart was not possible.
This was Thursday morning, and in the normal BMW shroud of secrecy i've been told very little, and that a motor related to the cam shaft was likely the issue and the part would be here Tuesday and they would want to keep it to drive for a few days after that.
An entire week? I don't have a good feeling. Anyone else heard of/experienced this?
Thanks.
My 2011 535I gave me the "engine malfunction, loss of power, no restart after stop" message at 7700 miles. Took it in they kept it overnight, said they had to reboot the computer. This morning at 5:45 a.m. on the interstate at 9,000 miles I got the same message. Took it back in. SA says there is a technical bulletin out that says to "reboot the computer" but since that has already been done, they will have to check with BMW for further advice. Meanwhile, since they were out of their own loaner cars, I'm driving a Toyota Corolla from Enterprise. This is my first BMW. So far, I'm not impressed.
Appreciate 0