11-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Andrey
Average Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i, Gone 2011 BMW 550i,

Arrow No Spare Tire. Did you have to deal with this? how did you handle it

hello everyone!
i am starting this thread to find an answer and maybe help others who might be interested.
I have a 2011 550i, which is awesome in every way, however, i have recently replaced tires on my car. I went from Bridgestone run flats to nice and smooth Michelin Pilot Sport AS, and as you already know my wheel are staggered, 245/40/19 on the front and 275/35/19 in the rear.
They ride beautifully, much softer yet still sporty. However, in my recent road trip that put 7000 miles in 10 days, i ran into a pot hole which popped the side of one of the tires, but didn't blow up (luckily). Since it was a non run flat tire, there is a chance it could blow up at high speeds. It was friday night at the Yellowstone national park ( watch out for pot holes). I called BMW and they said they could tow my car for me and have it fixed but not until monday, not something you want to deal with on a road trip.

Just like any other 550i, i didnt have a spare wheel or fix kit of any kind.
So i had to order a tire from Costco (where i bought Michelins originally) and drive to Las Vegas on pretty much 3 wheels to have it replace for free, which is nice, but inconvinient.

So this brings me to my main question: where and which kind of spare can i find?
I would like it to be same diameter as original wheels spare, not quick fix kit.
i don't mind keeping it in the trunk since i don't use it a lot. So even if it will be a full size spare, i don't mind.

Does any one else have this problem or is it just me?
Where do you guys get your spare? + tools:
will space savers from other models even brands fit?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0