05-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
This car looks like it is going to share an increased number of parts from the 7er. I am sure it will have its own identity but it is more a downscaled 7 than I would have liked. Parts bin sharing is going to become more prevalent for the 5 and 7 like the 1,3 etc.

The 5er and 7er used to be more individual models but that looks to be changing.
Well I think you are *very* offbase. I'm not sure which parts you are referring to, but if you are talking about interior parts such as the instument panel, then I'm sorry to tell you that the 3,5,7er have a very *long* history of sharing not only similar design and styling of the interior but also the physical parts.

As for the exterior, if you mean to say that the 5er is going to look similar to the 7er thats one thing, but just because they look similar doesn't mean they share the same parts. Even with a similar appearing headlight and hood, there is no way that the headlights or hood from a 7er could physically fit on the 5er's body.

Your dramatic statement about 'parts bin' is off base and I can see you are trying to imply a downward trend of some sort when nothing of the sort is happening. We don't even know what the interior looks like except for the speedometer and the gear lever which are parts that have always been shared across all BMW segments!!
Appreciate 0