View Single Post
      02-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #84
StealthBomber
Rep
Drives: 530d F11

The bottom line is though, however many upgrades you have your £2000 pro nav is a pile of dog ex. Because:-

1 - even with 7 digit post codes, some will still be missing.
2 - however up to date the maps, the engine is still lanmentable and does not route via B & C roads unless it means avoiding a 300 miles detour. Anything less, and it detours you via an A-Road. I exagerate for effect, but the detours in suggests are a joke frankly.
3 - for any journey where I really care about taking the most efficient route and I don't know my own way, I use my old TomTom with IQ routes - wins every time. Sad by true.
4 - the detail of the traffic messaging is impossible to read while driving - exceptionally dangerous
5 - the Pro-nav is nice for RTTI (when its running, which is only 90% of the time!!!) and for the pretty relief pictures and being able to zoom out and plan ahead for the RTTI (so you can make your own route around, lol!)

I am not a BMW hater, I love my F11, but the nav is the most expensive 9iss take in motoring option history, IMHO.

It will of course get you to your destination, but be prepared for it to take you well out of the way. Considering its the ultimate driving machine, its desire to only use Motorways and A roads is especially ironic.

BMW should be ashamed - as a minumum, for £2k I would expect:-
  • The routing to use the TomTom enginee with IQ routes - trust me you cannot get better as they use actual travel time data for each road segment, not (just) algorithms - they will suggest some bizarre routes that you will try once and realise they are not bizarre at all and will use forevermore after that.
  • Over the air weekly updates of the IQ information
  • Quarterly over the air updates of the maps
  • All this included "free" as part of the Connected Drive service as a minimum, and honestly, for £2k, for the lifetime of the first owner at least would be entirely reasonable, but as a minimum part of the future fee for Connected Drive, and without that going up (probably with it coming down - I guess its a crazy price)

Then the pro nav would be worthy of the price tag, just.

We should all moan like hell to everyone we meet about this rip off - dent thier sales and the next one you buy might be better. Keep taking it up the ???? and we will have this for ever.

I have just ordered a new TomTom with lifetime map updates to keep in the glovebox - Enough said? BMW are you listening? I spent £50K on the worlds best exec saloon and I tell everyone I meet that a £100 Tom-Tom knocks socks off your £2K Nav. Ashamed, embarassed? You should be.
Appreciate 0