View Single Post
      09-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
sickwithit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i M Sport

Am I wrong to think an extended maintenance is actually a good idea?

So I've read posts where people say the extended maintenance plan is a waste of money.

I live in the bay area and I don't work on my cars so I expect I will never be able to fix anything, both for lack of time and perhaps even interest. I have a 2011 F10 coming up on 50k miles and I've been offered a 3y 2mo or 100k miles extension for $1900. I'm due for new front brakes and according to the guy who is trying to sell it to me he thinks I'll be doing front and back brakes (possibly even rotors), spark plugs, at least 3 oil changes, micro filter, break fluid and something pretty major (I forgot what it was) he said needs to be done at 100k (which I can do at 96k) before this plan is over. He actually gave me an itemized list of the cost for these things and based on his numbers, I'll be spending well over the cost of the plan in three years if I were to pay out of pocket.

Some of you may be wondering why it's 3years instead of 2 and it's because my car's maintenance plan was supposed to go until dec 2014 so extending that by 2 years is giving me another extra year and change. I'm really tempted to jump on this but I want to hear what you guys think before pulling the trigger. Again, I would like to emphasize that I have absolutely no intentions to do any of this work myself. Yes, I know that's pitiful to some of you car lovers but I'm just not into that stuff. I just like driving the car.

Last edited by sickwithit; 09-10-2013 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0