01-09-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
I feel very ignorant in saying this Jon, but at least I'm honest: I have never checked the pressures.

I am careful with regards to keeping the car clean and I'm fastidious with regards to servicing, but tyre pressure is not something I pay great care to. I have always judged this by just looking at the tyres and seeing how the car sits. I feel very ignorant now though and feel that I need to be more attentive to this area. I'll invest in a digital tyre pressure gauge this week. Can you recommend one?

Of my now 19k miles, I have calculated that approximately 10 to 12k of these have been on motorway or dual carriage way. I'm attributing this fact, in large part, to the longevity of the tyres.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (anyone), but a lot of tyre wear comes from the sideways movement of the tyres, associated with "normal" roads, as opposed to faster (and fundamentally straight) motorway / freeway driving?
You've never checked the pressures in 19k miles . I trust that you now feel well and truly ashamed of yourself .
Joking aside, you're correct in assuming that, generally speaking, high cornering loads will cause more wear on the inner and outer edges of the tyres, but having said that, I do a great deal of 'spirited' driving on twisting Scottish B roads and my tyres aren't showing any signs of uneven wear.
As to gauges - a digital one won't necessarily be any more accurate than a dial type, it's all down to manufacturing quality control. I use this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/RACE-PROFESS.../dp/B000VZ8S26 relatively cheap and certified to ±2% accuracy.
I check mine weekly and generally find they need a minor top-up every couple of months or so, which I do with a small portable 12v compressor. Note: pressures should be checked when the tyres are cold, ideally first thing in the morning and before you start driving.
Appreciate 0