View Single Post
      11-01-2011, 04:02 AM   #10
andrewjgreen1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 520d (maybe)

Thanks again everyone for you thoughts. I'm going to keep playing with the ideas people have given me, building and rebuilding a car until I find a balance I like and that I think gives good value for money.

It sounds like the deselection of the smokers' pack is pretty pointless (I found another thread saying something similar) and am glad to hear my iphone will work without paying extra.

Now, as for Xenon's point about automatic gearboxes. I've never had one before and am not desperate to have one but 90% of cars available second hand have an auto box, whichever one. I know it sounds silly buying an option for the sake of future retail but...well...that's sort of what I'm planning on doing. In fairness the test drive I took had an automatic box and very impressive it was too, plus lots of people here and elsewhere extol the virtues of this 8 speed box; both things help make the decision feel easier and less like it's being taken for a future unknown buyer.

Blaz - my current car is a 57 reg 320i touring SE - the only options I recall it having are ambient lighting (which is an unnecessary but pleasing touch) and extended interior lights. It was built in Feb 08 and bought by us Feb 09 for about £16k, which we thought was a reasonable deal and presented a blueprint for future car purchases from which we've still not fully divorced ourselves.
Appreciate 0