View Single Post
      01-31-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I suppose I've lived with diesel engines too long, so have a bit of experience. I know when we moved to ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) we did find that diesel was now no longer good enough for many engine's injection equipment. Hence the use of additives such as the Millers product, to add back the lubricity, lost from the removal of the sulphur content.

Personally I think folks often fill with a tank, or two, of premium fuel and don't notice the difference. To me the opposite is true, use premium all the time and then put a tank of standard fuel in. That's where the butt dyno feels the performance difference, back to premium, engine back to peak.

The other thing, from experience, is the smoke levels, from different fuels. OK, a lot is hidden with DPFs fitted these days, but go back a few years and smoke on start up was so different with the spread of fuels. Bosch smoke tests, certainly showed up the differences. Typically, a few years back, VW diesel's would have reduced smoke levels on BP fuel, both for cold start up and under medium, to heavy acceleration.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0