BimmerOwner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerOwner View Post
All 4 tires are brand new on my 535d (3 weeks old). Planning to travel PHX-San Diego and back. Thank you for your insight. It will really help my decision.
As you said you travelled 5,600+ miles with your RF tires with no issues. I am really going to do that... cheers bro.
The only real difference between ROF's and "regular" tyres is the sidewall stiffness. ROF's have a much stiffer sidewall so the tyre can hold it's shape and support the car. I actually misspoke a bit; our trips were SAN-PHX. A few of our trips were also in Aug so, as you well know, it was hot HOT! The ONLY reason I replaced the ROF's on my '14 with non-ROF's was the cost. I'm more fearful of a flat now than I was with the ROF's. I do have a plug kit, compressor and jack in the trunk so I should be good; I also have AAA.

Coming to SAN proper or somewhere else in the county? The city I would take the 10 down to Gila Bend and then the 8. Have a radar detector handy (my Valentine V1 has saved me numerous times [can't beat the arrows and counter!]) and believe the warnings! as flat as it is, you should get at least a 2-3 mile warning. CHP is very aggressive the 1st 20 miles or so inside the border. There's a Border Patrol checkpoint once you're through the fun part of the mountain climb. Enjoy the trip!!
Your response is so helpful. I have radar already in place. lol. I live in Chandler so I can reach I-8 pretty much quicker. Speaking of border check point, can I just use my driver license as identification or do I need to carry my passport with me?
Again you're a great help..... thank you so much indeed.
Appreciate 0