View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #48
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

If I never had the luxury of having a different engine, I'd be happy with the 320d/520d. I'd be a fool not to see its outstanding values. But as I do have the choice, then in the context of finer detail, there is clearly the extra refinement of a 6-cylinder petrol engine. Start up, low speeds, pulling up at junctions where there is no vibration through the car, the steering wheel, or from the foot rest. Silky smooth pull, an edge of refinement that the diesel engine just doen't have. How do we put a price and value on that feeeling? It is very personally judged and a subjective decision.

How does anyone justify a Rolex watch? When many cheaper watches still tell us the time, accurate enough for any of us to go about our business quite adequately. I suggest it is because a Rolex is more than just a time keeper.

My son was running a 2.0d X3, moved to the 3.0sd X3 and praised the extra refinement, the vehicle is transformed by the bigger engine. He gets in my 535i and before we get moving more than 10mph is saying "this is a real BMW". He'd been in my 330d, so familiar with the more refined drive of the touring compared to an X3. He comments on however good the 6-cylinder diesels are, petrol engines are still ahead on refinement. He reckoned the 535i engine was good, but still not up there with the E39 540i V8 I used to own.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0