09-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #668
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysky007 View Post
Ok, now pretend I am a total moron and explain what you are trying to say
Using the F01/F10 type suspension illustration attached: 'A' is the pivot axis for the top control arm (wishbone), there is no adjustment as such in the mounting bolts. 'B' is the top position of the wheel carrier, controlled by the wishbone dimension. This sets the camber position. From your alignment figures this 'position' needs to be corrected inwards to get back in camber tolerance. The inserted photo shows the ball joint position on the replacement (negative dimensioned) wishbone. It is set back into the wishbone, you can even see it marked with a '-' identification.

I've marked 'C' at the track rod end. Imagine moving the top of the carrier, position 'B' inwards or ourwards, while postion 'C' stays where it is, along with the bottom mounts as a fixed pivot. Therefore toe-in increases as you move 'B' outwards. Thus why I'm suggesting we are seeing a higher toe-in reading on your first alignment sheet. Harmonises with how the camber is out of spec' as a positive camber.

The above comment is assuming the bottom suspension arms (wishbone and tension strut) are in spec', have not moved, bent or damaged in some way.

BTW, you won't be able to directly compare dimensions of the existing component and the 'correcting' replacement, they will be different by design. Even comparing side by side and seeing differences, the only way you will know the camber setting, is by fitting the new part and having an alignment reading. It is dimensioned to give a -30min change.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0