View Single Post
      10-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #55
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
This thread exemplifies how we've become victims of our prejudices.

Who cares about the number of cylinders in an engine? If a one cylinder can accelerate as well as a 12 cylinder but get much better mileage without sacrificing NVH, then where is the downside? Bragging rights for a big engne?

BMW has had small 4 cylinder engines in their cars for eons in other markets. The US market is one of the few that is convinced that size matters.

I'm coming from a 335 and I'm getting a 528 intentionally because I don't need or use that excess power and don't mind the extra mileage.

I don't see a downside.

Downside is
1. lack of balance in 4 cyl vs 6 cyl, althought I don't know what this means exactly, I'm just going with what others say
2. lack of noise in turbo vs NA
3. power delivery of turbo, it comes all at once at a low rev point, reducing the ability to rev for fun
4. reliability issues with turbos, esp. BMW ones

Coming From a N54/N55, the only difference is 4 vs. 6 cylinders, so you lose some balance but save on the weight, may even get similar performance given how lightlty tuned the 6 cyl is and how highly tuned the 4 cyl is.

I would say the N20 is very much a baby N55, the difference in feel and enjoyment is much greater if you compare with the NA N52/53.

But you are completely right if you won't rev above 3k, so it depends what you want your 528 to do, econo cruiser with good torque, or atypical underpowered F1 2tonne boat.
Appreciate 0