View Single Post
      02-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #1
UA_civ_eng
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 550i Past:'11 E92 M3

How To: F10 Rear Brake Disc and Pad Replacement

I wanted to post a clear, easy to follow how-to for replacing the rear brake rotors and pads on the F10 550i. I have seen other threads on the topic, but there is conflicting information and it is all very spread out throughout the thread. Attached to this post are documents that may or may not be from the ISTA/D (Rheingold) software. I added notes (red text) in the PDFs where necessary since obviously the blue links are not clickable. Also attached are photos showing how I retracted the pistons since I do not have the BMW “special tool.” My car is a 2011 550i with M-Sport package, but I would imagine this is the same procedure for all F10s. I used Centric brand Series 100 pads on the resurfaced OE rotors. The Centric pads are advertised to and look identical to the OE Jurid pads. How to reset the condition-based-service reminder can be found on YouTube. To top things off for everybody, the software specifies 100 ft*lbs for wheel bolt torques. Enjoy, and let me know if any other info is needed!

Pad Sensor: Our cars use one sensor for the rear, located on the inside pad of the right rear brake assembly. As mentioned in the attached documents, the brake pad sensor does get worn down with the pads after a certain point. If you change your pads before the sensor gets any wear, then you don't have to change it. However, that wouldn't make too much sense, because that would mean you have several thousand miles left on the pads. The sensor is a simple swap out. Trace the wire up to where the connector is, disconnect it, and install the new one.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Rear Brake Disc Minimum Thickness.pdf (340.3 KB, 3729 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Brake Disc Replacement.pdf (601.7 KB, 10391 views)
File Type: pdf Rear Brake Pad Replacement.pdf (1.23 MB, 14394 views)
File Type: pdf Piston Retraction.pdf (960.0 KB, 6902 views)

Last edited by UA_civ_eng; 05-11-2016 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 11