View Single Post
      09-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum and to potential BMW ownership.

If you want a 6 cyl turbo-diesel, the current 5 series (F10) comes in two variants - 530d and 535d. They share the same basic 3ltr engine, except that the 530 has a single turbo, whereas the 535 has two.

They're both extremely good cars and, on paper, there's not a great deal of difference in performance. However, statistics are one thing and how the cars actually feel are different things altogether. The 535's extra turbo makes a huge difference to the mid-range punch - flooring the throttle at 40+mph releases a seemingly endless surge of torque, which results in virtually instantaneous and very rapid acceleration. Granted, there is a small degree of turbo lag, but it's far less noticeable in the 535.

I'm sure there'll be many who'll say that there's nothing wrong with the 530 and, in no way, would I disagree - just that the 535 is significantly better and I think the extra cash is money well spent.

Whichever car you decide on, I would strongly recommend the sublime 8 speed sport auto box and the adaptive drive suspension package.

Best thing is to arrange for an extended test drive and judge for yourself.

Good luck,

Jon

PS: just noticed your location - check your PM inbox.
Appreciate 0