06-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #67
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dbimmer89 View Post
This is all to save some $$$...BMW Group and Toyota Motor Company are two of the most profitable automotive brands in the world so to move forward with all their "green tech" they found a way to save even more costs. This is only a joint partnership of technologies. The same way BMW jointly developed the Tritec engine with Chrysler and the Prince engine with PSA Peugeot/Citroen. It's all about saving some dough but what caught me off guard is the BMW/Toyota sports car. I just can't see a BMW FT86 but who says it's going to be branded a BMW. It may be an i brand vehicle or a Mini and its Japanese counterpart may be the Toyota version. BMW wouldn't make a BMW/Lexus sports car ...they're smarter than that even though only Americans and Canadians would buy it since no one else in world seems to take Lexus serious.

Toyota has the GT86 but BMW has no Z2. Lexus has the LFA but BMW has no M1 successor, the rival of the R8. If they are going to build sportscars together, it is not that that they will just have different badges like the GT86 and BRZ. Each shall have their own engine, though a togehter developed TT I6 with both M and Yamaha tech and know-how would be awsome, their design and such. The only thing that would be shared, would be the platform, which also will be the most expensive thing because made of CF in some cases, but due to the collaboration the costs would be lower. This would permit BMW to have their R8 rival, the M-One or whatever they call it, and would permit Lexus to build a more affordable LFA, it would permit Toyota to bring back the Supra and permit BMW to build the M-Two, and lastly the next generation GT86 platform could be built together with BMW for them to have their Z2. Toyota would put in it a some H4 and BMW some small displacement I6, at least that is what I wish.

IMO FI 2.0 I4 < FI 2.0 I6
Appreciate 0