View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
The forum bias here is to get more power if the price is somewhat similar. I would retort by saying the 528i has been tested by several car mags to have plenty of low end torque and passing acceleration from 50-70 mph. You can also get more options, and outfit the car as more of a luxury car, which might appeal to you. The engine note and the upper register (4-7k rpm) is the reason the get the n55. Its all about priorities - if you want a nice luxury car with great economy and adequate usable power, the 528i. If you are biased towards more power, revs, engine sound, the 535. Dont feel like ure getting a weak engine with the n20, it is plenty enough for a 4000 lb car.

IMHO, given the current fuel climate, i wouldnt be surprised if the 528i actually holds a slightly better % residual than the 535i.
Other things to keep in mind... while the 4 Cylinder is a performance model, the N55 is even more of a performance engine. in my opinion even the 535i needs a little extra pep to move the 4000lb car around. Ive driven both along with the 550i. I think the 535i gives a nice balance of power and refinement. the 528 is the mst economical. Its also my least favorite because its slightly under powered. But you said you do not drive fast. Why not get a 528i then... makes the most sense...
Appreciate 0