Thread: Help! New F11
View Single Post
      10-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I run Adaptive Drive (VDC + ARS) on 18" wheels, (and 17" winter) best option on the car, IMO. The ability to drive the suspension mode to suit the road surface conditions and my driving mood is a key priority for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog View Post
In my experience, VDC on an F11 just doesn't seem to work. I've read many professional reviews and even more user reviews regarding VDC on the F10 and most are generally positive. However, for me and my F11, it just cannot see how it has improved things much over the standard set-up and certainly does not justify the extra cost. I suspect that that VDC has been predominantly engineered and tuned for the saloon, but when applied to the F11 with its rear self-levelling air suspension, it just all seems to go wrong. I specced VDC in the hope of excellent ride quality and am generall disappointed on all but the very smoothest of roads. The way the car deals with potholes, speed bumps etc. is bordering on unacceptable. I have 18" wheels btw..
For me it is exactly the opposite, I tried a touring on standard suspension (not M-sport) and the ride and handling were severely compromised on poor road surfaces, compared to the active suspension. I have found the rear air suspension is a key to getting a better suspension in a BMW, the ability to have a lower spring rate at low loads smooth out the rear end jitters, even more so with the VDC option. It is a key reason I went to a 5-series again, rather than have another 3-series. OK, I've the full cream Adaptive Drive in my F11, but no issues at all with suspension quality or the modes changing the overall suspension feel of the car. It adds refinement in all suspension modes. BTW, I use all modes, the mid setting is my normal 'default' ride.

What are your issues? Wrong feel all the time, compared to standard passive suspension, or the modes don't change the ride and handling feel as you'd expect? Or some odd behaviour?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0