09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

First Drive: BMW 535D

Updated: 2013-09-06

I have uploaded photos on my iCloud site. All these photos are taken using an iPhone and are from the last 2 days.

And as the weather gods have not been favourable, its raining today - so no chance to take photos with a proper camera. I'll try and take some pictures with a proper camera (and hopefully at a proper site with a half-decent background) once the sun is up (next few days).

Meanwhile, have a look at the photos.
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A359UlCqi0JLi
__________________________________________________ ____

Updated: 2013-09-05

Car being detailed today. Here is a picture of the car after an initial wash. Another picture of the wheel after a coating.

Photo 1

Photo 2

[Edited: Links moved to the same iCloud site above. See the update comments above, original photos included in the same]

Updated: 2013-09-04

Car being detailed today & tomorrow, but managed to play with few things.
1. iPhone Siri works like a charm. Press and Hold the Voice Command button, and the request goes to Apple Siri. Responses are via the speakers, the display on the phone does not change. Siri does behave differently compared to using it directly on the iPhone. E.g. Asking Siri about 'How busy am I tomorrow', it responds by speaking 'You have x number of appointments. Do you want to hear more details?'. Say Yes and Siri details each appointment with time, etc... Very nice implementation.

2. BMW Apps integration work very well. I played around with Glympse and the user interface is very similar to what the app shows on the iPhone. Just shows that the integration with apps is built on solid design, I'm looking forward to more apps in the future.

3. EcoPro Assistant works quite well. It tells me when to step off the gas because the exit (from a motorway) is close enough. I have not been able find the option for 'Coasting' though - it is not under Configure EcoPro. Do not know whether ths is enabled on 535 or only on lower models. Need to RTM.

Updated: 2013-09-03

Picked up my new 535D (the real deal, the 313 hp UK model) saloon today morning from the dealership. Car is Callisto Grey with Oyster/Black interior.

Options:
- Luxury Line
- Sport Auto Box with Paddles
- Navigation professional
- Adaptive LED Headlights
- Variable Damper Control
- Head Up Display
- Comfort Seats
- Comfort Access
- Active Security Pack
- Advanced Parking Pack
- Driving Assistant Plus
- Speed Limit Info
- Multi Function display (6WB)
- Enhanced Bluetooth
- Connected Drive Services
- Power Boot Lid
- Harmon/Kardon speakers

All my comparisons are with a May 2012 F10 saloon model.

First Impression:
- Great colour, Callisto Grey really sparkles in the sun. Quite different from Space Grey. It actually has a greenish/ bronze tinge. I earlier had the Sophisto Grey and think I like this one better (a very personal opinion).

The ride is definitely firmer on the LCI and the steering seems to be a bit more tighter. Have not driven long enough to comment fully, but initial impressions are that the LCI seems stiffer and more direct than the previous car.

- Drive: The 535d is very smooth (and quick). The brakes too are great (compared to my earlier 520, this beast does stop quickly - got to do with bigger brakes)

- Interior: The exclusive leather stitch looks good. the Comfort seats are heaven-sent. The number of adjustments are far too many. HUD is brilliant, more colours now and more information in HUD including entertainment details, etc… Multi function instrument cluster is another great feature - very quick and sharp display. The 10.2” navigation professional screen too is very sharp; speed is greatly improved. Maps are very (I say very) quick and general user interface is very smooth, animations are speedy, display is super sharp, text is clear & crisp. Touch-pad on the iDrive controller works very well, I actually like the larger rotary controller (more meaty and more tactile feel). Detail on the maps is very good. Advanced RTTI is working well too, loads of information can now be seen on the maps (there is no need to switch to Traffic Map now - the main maps can show everything).

- LED Adaptive Light:
The variable light distribution works like a charm, very very slick. The videos on You tube are absolutely spot-on. The system does work like it says.
I am not sure if the lights are brighter than my previous Xenons, but they are definitely whiter and smoother. I’m glad I took the LED. The squarish DRL rings look super cool, and are quite bright. Very much a different presence to the Xenons.

- Park Assist:
Have not tried the Auto Park feature yet, but the Surround and Reverse Cameras are very good. Worth the price.

- Active Cruise Control/Active Security/ Lane Change/
Works very effectively. Only tried for a short while on the motorway, but great to have a relaxed drive. Active Cruise Control works very well. The car also warns of imminent collisions in city driving and will auto brake (have not tested fully, but did feel the brakes pre-tighten when I pressed the brake pedal). need to test a bit more and get used to the features.

- The car goes for a professional detailing job tomorrow; will be back in 2 days.

More details then… Hopefully, along with some photos.

Last edited by gspannu; 09-06-2013 at 04:42 AM.. Reason: Updated Day 4
Appreciate 0