View Single Post
      05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #27
kooper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 (I wish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijigabe0 View Post
cross-cooperation is part of the automotive landscape, but i think your points are too far from what will realistically happen.

BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler and GM all participated in their hybrid program. the results have been seen (GM and Chrysler have only applied their jointly developed systems on the full-size SUV's, other hybrids by GM were developed separately).

However, to say that the C and 3-series, the E and 5-Series and other cars will be based on the similar architecture is probably a VERY long-term project. we've seen that the F-30 platform is currently under development. given a 6-year life cycle for that platform, there won't be a possible development of a joint 3-C platform until the 2018 model.

the new F-10's are starting to come out. again, given a 6-year life cycle, there won't be a new E/5 platform until 2016.

the current MB ML is based on the current Jeep Grand Cherokee, designed primarily by the Germans, featuring a body-on-frame chassis. the next generation ML will feature a new chassis, developed by Chrysler, which is said to be far superior to the current chassis. however, it's still a body-on-frame chassis. with that being said, we probably won't see a new ML for another year, and another new platform for a while after that. an ML/X5 cross-developed SUV won't hit the market for a really long time.

with all that, some mags may print stuff about rumors they've heard, but just from a planning point, unless BMW and Merc want to scrap their current plans (in which they've invested heavily), we won't see a single platform developed from this arrangement for a very long time.

looking at possible partners for BMW to team up with may be a great way to see where the products will end up, but i don't see BMW merging up with anyone, anytime soon, except for small projects, like they currently have with PSA (and formerly Chrysler) to build the engines for the MINI.

Personally I hope that no mergers happen. At most, the odd engine and tech collaborations are fine.

The magazine did make mention that the companies are "still at least a year" away from making any decisions, so yes, if anything comes from this we'll probably only see the effects much later.
Appreciate 0