View Single Post
      06-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
GARBAJ
Private
Rep
Drives: I'm hunting a car...agonizing

I want to be clear that I think BMWs are great, well-engineered cars. Also, this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63; there are a few others. I am an extremely OCD/anal retentive person. I don't want to type too much on this I Pad, but here is the deal: I went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago and explained my concern. The service writer at the BMW dealership agreed with all that I said about the cars most likely being over filled when adhering to the manufacturer's guidance, (residual in the engine, etc.) and that there is no way to EXACTLY confirm with the silly digital gauge. He went on to say that 95%++ of BMW owners come in with a "suit and tie" on, and just want the oil change "taken care of". Though I've done well in life, I grew up working on, racing, and rebuilding cars and have been changing oil for in excess of 34 years. My grandfather, who taught me most of what I know, worked for an oil filter manufacturer for almost 40 years. You could say I'm kind of passionate about this stuff. I would rather run for the life of a vehicle 1/2 qt low than a 1/4 qt high. Most of today's society knows no better, and couldn't care less, just as the service writer implied. I'll die early I'm sure, due to my intensity BUT I want it right, not close.
Appreciate 0