06-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #14
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
this is not the only reason for my leaning toward a 2012 E63
You are referring to the Mercedes, not the 6 series, right? Yeah, that's a sweet car, test drove one just recently.

My Porsche 996 had both a mechanical dipstick and the electronic version. I thought that was great. And they agreed with each other. I think the idea that the electronic oil level detector is inaccurate is based on a falsehood. Don't rely on one person's possibly misinformed opinion to make a decision.

My car (F10) was low on oil so I added half a quart, and the new level display correctly showed the addition of half a quart. That's pretty darn accurate in my book. I do agree about the ability to look at the dipstick to gauge oil quality, but if its your car, then you'll know based on mileage and time when you need to change the oil. That's really only handy if looking at a used car and you want to get an idea of the oil condition. IMHO.

There are a lot more serious drawbacks to new BMWs to complain about other than the dipstick. No spare tire for instance. Fuel pump issues. Pulling to the right. Etc.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0