Thread: BMW F10 battery
View Single Post
      02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Just picked up my car from the dealership this afternoon. They performed a diagnostic scan on it yesterday.

Here is the description of the outcome on the report:

3867 Scanned vehicle found fault for unathorized waking of vehicle.
Load tested battery. Good battery diag code (B8809-x56IV). Performed energy diag. Found frequent wake ups by touchless tail gate opening. Cleared fault and checked OK. Performed parasitic draw test - less than 0.03 amps. Vehicle entered sleep mode. Test drove vehicle 5 miles - checked OK.

In summary, the battery was fine. The issue that was causing the message, "Battery discharging while stopped: electrical devices were temporarily switched off", was as a result of frequent failed attempts to open the trunk via the foot activated touchless tail gate sensor without possession of the key fob.

The service guy called me this morning and asked if I was parking the rear of my car close to something that might be attempting to activate the touchless tailgate every day.

I back my car into the garage. The distance between my work bench and the rear bumper is about 1 foot. What is happening is that when my kids come into the garage from the house they have to walk in between this small gap between the cars rear bumper and the work bench to get to their bicycles. As a result, their feet are apparently moving close enough to the rear bumper such that the sensor tries to open the trunk lid and fails. Since the effort fails, as they do not have the key fob with them, it apparently causes the electrical system to shut down all electrical activated devices as a form of protection from otherwise unnecessariiy draining the battery.

Last edited by Andy H.; 02-16-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0