ddd269
Private
Chile
Rep
Drives: F10 528iA Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrete View Post
Dear fellow forum users,

I registered specifically in order to offer a possible solution. My F10 530d with 8 speed auto transmission was exhibiting some of the behaviour described in this thread - intermittent low speed bucking, complete power loss, and very strange idling even when in park. I initially thought the problem was related to the transmission as it seemed to me that the gearbox was becoming "stuck" between gears at low speeds: the rev needle would bounce up and down in time with the car bucking back and forth, with a complete loss of power. Reprogramming the gearbox control unit and the adaptive transmission settings didn't resolve the problem. However, an EGR fault was eventually diagnosed. In case someone doesn't know, the EGR valve operates under certain engine conditions so as to introduce (Recirculate) Exhaust Gases back into the engine to reduce emissions. It seems that the EGR valve was becoming stuck in an open position at low engine loads, effectively suffocating the engine with exhaust gases. My BMW dealer technician disconnected the car's electronics from the EGR assembly and this removed the problem. A new EGR assembly was then ordered and installed and the problem has completely disappeared. If a similar problem is afflicting any of your vehicles, the electronic diagnostic system should reveal an EGR fault code if this is the cause.

The problem was also ruining my experience of my new vehicle. Hopefully this will resolve someone's problems as well.
Thanks for the input... This could be another possibility. I can see how this can be an intermittent problem and answer to some of the problems on this thread.

You were lucky that the tech "caught" the valve stuck while he was checking. This type of problem could be a headache as the EGR valve can operate erratically. It's the perfect "Owner's crazy" scenario... you go to the dealer because of a problem and the car's running flawless.
Appreciate 0