View Single Post
      02-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #56
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
It's surprising to me that some of you guys are coming from faster cars and say 520d is fast enough. I find it really hard to get a car which is slower than my previous rides.
From my observation (and not just with BMW drivers) it is often a necessity.

Here in the UK motoring costs are high, and having a smaller diesel engine gives better fuel economy, and tax advantages, (a lot of the users are not the owners, but company car drivers). We have what is called "benefit in kind" (BIK) which tax structure drives car choice, in many instances.

What the smaller diesel engine does give, is sensible 'real world' driving performance. The low to mid range torque making up for loss of BHP and revs. So similar 'in traffic' performance as a bigger petrol engine.

For most UK drivers the days of big engines are past, so picking something like the 520d, is the next best thing. Down sizing in power and vehicle size is a must for many folks.

BMW have launched a 520d model of the 5GT. Now there is a car that really needs a much larger engine, but BMW are hoping sales will improve as the 520d makes much more financial sense over here, even in something like the 5GT.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0