View Single Post
      09-15-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I've noticed this, if you take your foot off the gas to coast to a stop for say traffic lights, the gearbox changes down the gears and you get engine braking which is not that smooth. Compared to my previous e39 , its not as smooth although i think that car would stay in 2nd gear rather than go onto 1st ( unless in d/s mode)
It is virtually the opposite in my 535i, the engine drops back to around 1,000rpm before it down changes (then only increases by about 200rpm or so) when slowing to a junction. Say I'm coasting down from 60mph to a restricted zone, typically I have to touch my brakes if following others doing the same, as the car runs so freely (compared to other cars) on the overrun.

I do believe some of the differences we find are in the use of the throttle pedal. Speed of pedal movement, (same for the brake pedal) does change the gearbox characteristics. But with a slow lift off of the pedal there is no forced down changing in my car. Clearly observe the regeneration feature being displayed, again without any feel to it.

Drive harder and the gearbox wakes up, as I'd expect it to, but still exceptionally smooth.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0