View Single Post
      08-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #96
Soon ExAudi Guy
Week 36 Build
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I am by no means an expert and maybe this is stating some obvious facts, but from some reading and talking to a civil engineering friend whose expertise is roads and bridges, I have the following to share:

1. Road crowning percentages vary by municipality, state, country. 2% can be a norm, but so could 3 or 4%. And of course, bends/turns are a different matter.
2. When observing the pull behavior, consider which lane you are in and whether there is a middle median. A 4 lane highway with a center median will see the right lane crown to the right, the left lane to the left. A 6 lane highway with no center median could see the left lane with an effective right leaning grade of 5-6% from the right shoulder.
3. Climate will in part dictate crowning grade. Hot and dry climates will have less of a grade given low rainfall and evaporation.
4. Highways and roads depending on the storm sewer availability will determine grade on a given surface.

What I took away from the chat was us that when we compare experiences on an issue that might be compounded by crowning conditions that are all over the map, we are bound to discover people having big, small and no issues.

Again, I don't know if this is all a summary of obvious knowledge/information but it should certainly be taken into account when evaluating shared experiences. And, I am in no way dismissing that there is a known pulling issue.

For what it's worth, I drove 3 different 5 series cars on long test drives and did not notice this issue. On my current Audi, it does not pull except mildly on 2 highways that I frequent.

Last edited by Soon ExAudi Guy; 08-30-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 0