GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
That's a compelling argument and probably the most literal interpretation. But then what would you call the form factor of cars like the Corvette and the Porsche Cayman? They're not convertibles. And the word coupe typically implies a backseat.
Well, I believe a coupé is classically a 2-door, fixed roof car that's shorter than the sedan/saloon version which is shorter than the wagon/estate version. The names didn't necessarily reflect rows of seats, but rather number of people who could be seated: coupe=2-3, sedan=4-5, estate=6-7.

Using those definitions, the 'vette and Cayman are coupes: 2 seaters, fixed roof.

To any of those definitions manufacturers have added the word "sport"; for example a "sport coupe" would be a coupe which comes off the assembly line designed to be used and competitive in sport, but doesn't have to be.

That would mean a "sports car" is a car whose primary purpose is sport, no matter how many it seats or whether or not it has a fixed roof. For example, the majority of the miles on my F83 are from going to, competing in, or returning from sport. Thus it's a sports car. Even so, I still wouldn't call it that because my "sport" is more pick-up sport rather than organized and clubbed at a regional or larger level.

Wow. Thanks for making me think that through.
Appreciate 1