04-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #15
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondocap View Post
Good thoughts, guys. This winter I went through 4 tires and 1 rim with the GTI and bad roads, so the 550i with m sport, which I'd want, may be a bad idea.

The GTI is good, but being a manual and daily driver really make a poor choice for me in the NYC environment. You just can't have fun with it, and the shifting is super tiring.

I may replace it with something mundane like a Japanese sedan and keep the Porsche, that may be the best option.
Or maybe another option - get a really inexpensive and reliable daily driver... it sounds like you put loads of mileage on the car, and it's driving in/out of NYC (re: abuse). Put your "car money" into a nice weekend car.

So, one scenario:

Commuter car: Older, inexpensive Honda Accord (automatic)
Weekend car: Porsche 911

If I was really beating on my daily driver, as much as I love cars, I'd probably go for something that would take the abuse, not depreciate much (or have limited room for depreciation), and put my money into something I'd enjoy on the weekends. Seriously... in your shoes I may consider something that's like a $10k car for commuting. Reliable enough to make sure I get there, but nothing more. That way I'd drive and park with impunity, wouldn't sweat the pot-holes or a-holes who bump your car to get in/out of parking spots, etc. And then I'd enjoy something really nice on the weekend.
Appreciate 0