View Single Post
      06-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

The car was much more agile and balanced at high speed curves. I didn't perceive any steering ratio changes between the 2 systems - I'm sure it was there.

The curves I was taking/testing above 50 mph only required the slightest steering movement - with or without IAS. So, didn't notice the ratio change.

At low speeds, well, I couldn't tell IAS from without it to be honest. I'm sure it turned a bit tighter, I had to turn the wheel less, but nothing to write home about here.

I believe BMW USA has oversold IAS at low speeds, where many people just don't notice it. At high speeds, they talk about comfort in lane changes. Most people driving expensive cars don't make jerky lane changes, so most will not notice IAS here either.

IAS really shines on switchback, hairpin, or even sweeping 30 to 90 degree (esp. non-uniform) curves above 50 mph. Downhill slopes will be felt more than level or uphill. This means mountain highways will benefit most along with winding back country 2-lane highways.

I didn't feel it degraded feedback or control. the only difference in feedback was lack of understeer, and that's because there simply was no understeer.

-Magic
Appreciate 0