View Single Post
      01-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

fseyyad - It's a good question - I'm not sure there's anything beyond Adaptive Drive in the DHP. You know, there's so much marketing at play in these names, it really confuses the facts. From what I can tell, however, it's just the two systems - anti-roll and electronic dampers.

As for the ride height, it's not terrible. I tend to leave my cars stock, and the wheel gap on the DHP setup is acceptable to me. It doesn't look goofy, but it's also not as low as many on these boards would like. I guess that's a personal preference. You can see pictures that I posted in my thread from Tuesday when I picked up the car. If you're the type who needs the car low to the ground (see remmib's sig block photo as an example), the look of the DHP system is probably not going to make you happy. I'm not sure if you can swap the springs for something lower w/o impacting the system? Maybe someone who's done it (or looked into it) can comment there.

On another note, Day 3 today brought some snow driving. We got the first inch or so already today with about 8 - 12 expected tonight into tomorrow. I had to run a few errands so I took the 550xi out for a spin. OK - so it's now officially dirty from road slush, but hey, that's what happens in the winter!

The xDrive worked well. It gripped flawlessly, and I could feel a tire here and there break lose from a dead stop while attempting to turn and/or go up a hill. Each time, the system caught and seemed to adjust the torque effectively to tires with grip. I'm excited to see how this handles in deeper snow... especially since I'm a bit underwhelmed with my Q5's quattro system.

This car IS heavy, though, and it shows when you do lose traction stopping. I approached one stop on an unplowed road where the ABS engaged, and you can certainly feel the extra weight of this car when it slides.

I played a bit with the heated steering wheel - I could take it or leave it. While it does heat the wheel, it seems a bit pointless to me. I know others, though, that claim they can't live without it.

Finally, I stumbled today into the iDrive screen that shows power and torque dials - pretty novel. I'm not sure there's any good use for it, but it's a neat little novelty.

She's now warm and resting in the garage.... waiting for the snow to arrive. Hopefully we don't get as much as they're predicting, but it's also supposed to get down to -5 degrees, as well... brrrr. As if snow-blowing isn't bad enough, I hate it even more when I'm literally frozen. Be careful out there if you're driving in the NE today/tomorrow.
Appreciate 0