View Single Post
      11-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
So with AD, are you aware of every imperfection in the road? or does it smooth that out and provide a softer ride but without the wallow?
On my msport suspension with 19 inch wheels, I am certainly aware of any imperfection in the roads surface and along with tramlining, even the paint on the road markings is obvious!
The active suspensions work on the idea of "soft where possible, firm when necessary". Not everyone's cup of tea, if we think sport means we ought to feel it is firm (even harsh) all of the time.

I've mentioned before that AD proves its worth, particularly on poor road surfaces, even in Sport mode, where the working envelope is much wider than a passive sport system. Single wheel bumps are much reduced, without copy across the car. Plus we have the options of best base setting for our conditions.

An observation on the Comfort mode (Comfort+ on later models) when loaded you'd expect it to float about a bit more, but I've found the opposite, it is better planted than when it is just me in the car. A loaded car on the motorway in Comfort mode is a very smooth and controlled ride.

The other clear benefit of AD is front to rear balance through the twisty stuff. Moderate driving gives a neutral handling balance, edges towards understeer as you press on harder. Plus due to the ARS function, helps steering precision and agility.

I'd have liked to have tried IAS (the rear steering) that is supposed to 'shrink' the car even more, enhancing the driving dynamics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0