View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 04:49 AM   #35
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
I also think your point about the more sedate steering fitting a large executive car better is a very good one. After all, the kind of tactile feedback that is missing from the new generation of BMW steering is in a way just glorified steering kickback.
Propagator, good points and I pick up your comment on "glorified steering kickback", as I think of it in a similar way.

I'll keep it to my own experience in the E91 330d. The steering feedback was not all good, to the point I didn't like it at all. I was running stock suspension, 17" wheels with Bridgestone Potenza RE050 run-flats. The steering was often too much "in the face", felt corrupted, never consistent and sometimes tugging like a FWD torque steer issue. Tramlined and was affected by road cambers which often translated to a strange form of steering wander, as if the steering was loose. Very temperature sensitive, you could virtually tell the ambient temperature by the steering feel. There wasn't much 'good' about it at all. Sure you had a feel of what was going on under the car, but did nothing positive for the driving experience.

Changed to non run-flats and the steering 'feel' matured, gained a consistent response and relaxed drive. We'd have to say I'd detuned the roadfeel via the steering, simply with a tire change. Some would say the OEM setup had loads of roadfeel, loved that typical run-flat feedback as if it was all positive and a good thing. But IMO as you suggest, was really a glorified steering kickback.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0