View Single Post
      10-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #78
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
I understand technology and efficiency and equal performance with less cylinders but is anyone else just plain sad that the NA inline 6 is gone?

I really think bmw underestimated how much the amazing SOUND of their I6 engine was really responsible for so much of the enjoyment of driving the car for the true driver. I grew up loving and wanting an inline 6. I loved the mechanical sound. I never will forget my first I6 in n52 form. 255hp , 7k rpm and the sweetest engine sound. To think that will never be heard again is a bit sad. In retrospect I should have kept that car.
My mom used to have an E60 525i (with the 3.0L, 215 hp engine). That amazing sound you speak of simply wasn't there. That car was dead quite; there was virtually no engine sound at all. Having driven a 2011 528i, my impression was similar. Virtually no sound, pleasant or otherwise, until you are within 1000 rpm of the redline, at which point it does sound pretty nice, but how often do you drive like that?

Older BMWs (those designed before the turn of the century) did sound good. However, BMW has been repositioning itself as a pure luxury brand, as opposed to the "ultimate driving machine". Real luxury cars are supposed to be quiet, so it seems like BMW is killing the "amazing sound" intentionally.
Appreciate 0