m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
are you able to decline the car and go your own route and lease your own car? is the car for business or is it effectively a perk /forms part of your salary?
No. This is what I have been doing for the last 10 years.

It's classed as a tool not a perk thus my salary remains untouched but because I am allowed to use it for personal use (regardless of if actually do or not), I still get hit with company car tax so technically I am paying for it hence the option of keeping my A7 and having a company car as well would leave me out of pocket.

If it wasn't going to hit my wallet then I wouldn't care. Indeed if it wasn't going to cost me anything they could paint the company logo all over it if they wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolie View Post
My 520d is a manual its effortless to drive, I like you had autos in my last three vehicles. In fact since ive had the car Id forgotten how good a manual was especially this one!
That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks

We can sit here all day and debate is an auto is better than a manual and why the company is being an a$$ for having such hard and fast rules but my options are take a car off the list or don't get reimbursed for the 15,000 miles a year I currently drive on business

I have been offered an auto (CT200 or Prius) so the choice is mine.

Trust me I have put a lot of though into this including leaving the company but with 14 years service in and a bright future I would be mad to do that even if I did end up in a car only a tree hugger could love

I have also sat down with the head of fleet to go through all the options including looking through the reallocation pool in case there was an auto in there coming back onto fleet.

The 520D ticks all the boxes from a spec perspective (Xenons, Cruise etc all as standard). All our fleet vehicles will be ordered with Nav, Bluetooth and metallic paint (although the 5 has them as standard) and there is no limit on personal use. I also have to keep in mind that I will be stuck in this car for 4 years and by then my son will be a 6 foot 15 year old so going for something cheaper on tax like the A3 is probably not a great idea.