View Single Post
      03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
can128
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Car won't start, can't change gears...

So I'm dropping off a friend after a night out at 2am, turn the car off only to have error messages stating ignition failure: do not to turn the car off because I may not be able to start it again and to contact my nearest dealer. By this point it was too late and I was unable to start the car. My car is an automatic 2011 535i xdrive with under 10,000km on it. Now although that's frustrating enough, my bigger concern is that there is no emergency transmission release to get the car in Neutral and maneuver it in an emergency situation! Luckily the car was on the driveway and was not obstructing traffic, but I then had to get a tow truck using a lift and dolly as opposed to the flatbed. This absolutely blows my mind... I understand that pre September assembly dates came with a tool that would release the transmission beneath the cup holder, but mine clearly doesn't have that ability. I couldn't be more frustrated and upset with something that should be so simple. I was a little concerned coming in to a car that relies so heavily on electronic systems, but this just sealed the deal for me. Nothing quite like a manual transmission, or at least a little more simplicity when it comes to emergency situations like something as simple as getting the car in neutral!

Sorry for the rant, just venting.
Appreciate 0