Thread: 40 MPG?
View Single Post
      11-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

How long is your usual drive? While many test sequences start out with the engine cold, I'm not sure how the European test is performed...it could start out with it warm, or, it could include a much longer drive after fully warmed up. Shorter drives and numerous cold starts will produce abysmal fuel economy. The thing only works really efficiently once it is fully warmed up.

Prior to retiring, I had a moderate commute, mostly on the highway of about 20miles each way. I got about 20-21mpg (US) on the thing. Now, most of my trips are barely a mile each way to do things like go to the grocery store or mall (which are obviously close by). While doing that, the same car has been getting 12-13mpg. Lately, I've been driving over to a park and riding my bike there on the trails. Because it is about 10-miles away, the car gets warmed up more, and I'm getting about 16-17mpg. I took a long trip a few days ago and got about 23mpg cruising at about 72mph. So, it really depends on the duration of the trip, where you are driving, and how you drive (agressive starts and braking at the last moment rather than coasting to that red light really suck up fuel and don't get you there any faster).
Appreciate 0