View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

I have just followed Highland Pete's example, indeed it was his recent experience that motivated me to trawl the AUC website, resulting in the car of my dreams; a I year old 640i cabriolet with just 1275 miles on the clock.
I had long been hankering for a convertible and having had extended test drives in the Audi A5, MB E-Class and BMWs 640i and 640d, the F12 640i was the clear winner, by a considerable margin, closely followed by the 640d, then the A5 and the E-Class in a distant third place.
Anyway, back to depreciation; on every occasion that my £54k F10 535d was appraised as a trade-in, the depreciation exactly matched the number of months since purchase in multiples of £1k. In other words, at 18 months it had dropped £18k, 22 months, £22k and at 2 years MB Inverness offered me a miserable £29.2k against an E-Class.
So, feeling somewhat dispirited about the whole business, I decided to put it on hold indefinitely, until...... I found the 640i.
Well, if I thought £1k per month was bad, that's peanuts to the 6'er; it's dropped £34k in just 1 year - almost £3k per month!!!!!
So, deal done with John Cooper BMW, Tunbridge Wells (£30k for my F10) and I'm now back in Scotland having covered over 600 miles and averaged 33mpg. OK, that's yet to be verified by a brim-to-brim check, but to say that I'm impressed and extremely happy would be something of an understatement, especially as the F12 is in my originally preferred colour and it's got all the toys I want. I now also feel a lot happier about the depreciation issue.
Only downside is that I had a stone flicked into the windscreen on the M25 and what started off as a multi pointed star, is now a 9" crack. I have windscreen cover on my LV insurance policy, but I don't know what hassle I'm going to face in getting it replaced as I have HUD and I think it's special screen - too tired to worry about it now though.
I'll post a picture when I've given it a thorough clean and polish.
Appreciate 0