View Single Post
      07-09-2014, 04:56 AM   #39
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
So, I'm still not sure the DHP components would have any affect in a braking situation. I'm not a suspension expert, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my basic understanding tells me this:

1. "Nose Dive" is the result of weight transfer. Weight transfer is caused by the center of mass changing on the vehicle under braking (or acceleration, cornering, etc).
As HighlandPete pointed out, dampers work in BOTH compression and relax-tion (lol).. in CONJUNCTION (simultaneously) with the spring.
If the car is diving, the spring AND damper are compressed at the same time.. this is the only suspension component that resists the dive (excluding sideways movements which would involve the ARBs)
If the damper is dead -not resisting at all- the full force is resisted by the spring.
If the damper is set on hard - both the spring and damper will resist the weight ..they're bosom buddies.
As you can imaging, the damper can have great effects on the handling of the car, as effectively it interferes/compliments the action of the spring.
It can effect turn-in, dive, speed bumps etc.

One experiment you can try with DHP is to brake suddenly going over rough road that you normally feel some feedback from.. pay attention to if the bumps get larger when you suddenly apply the brake.
If the dampers are stiffening in response to brake application, you could feel it through the car in this way.
Appreciate 0