04-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strada1198 View Post
I'll start by saying I am an X5 (2011 5.0 M Sport) owner but am posting here as there seems to be more dinan users / experience with dinan here. My issue is the car now goes into limp mode during any kind of hard acceleration.

I bought the car used with dinan stage 3 and exhaust. Love the thing seriously bad ass and enjoying life. Got the car in September and life was good until driving in the mountains over thanksgiving when it first happened. Accelerating hard and then boom, dramatic fuel cut as the car goes into limp mode. The Dealer was initially baffled and the assumption was that the software was causing the issue but the problem was hard to duplicate at first. If the car did go into limp mode, simply shutting it down and re-staring it clears the fault and life is back to normal. As time has gone on, the car will now very easily go into limp mode at the first sign of aggressive acceleration, the fault code when read by the dealer, indicates an over boost situation causing the car to kill power in order to protect itself.

Well, it's now April and the mystery is still not solved. Dinan appears to have taken responsibility and even states that there is a customer in AZ driving a 550i and having the exact same issue. I was believing this to be a dinan thing as well as a few months back we flashed the car back to stock and we were unable to duplicate the problem. Well, last weekend Dinan sent a revised stage 3 package hoping to fix the problem but as soon as I got on it... Back to limp mode. Well back to stock we go while dinan tries to figure this out. I was ok to go to stocks while they sort things out but now the car goes into limp mode in stock trim!

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Anyone here ever experience this same limp mode due to overboost problem?

Sorry for the long post, really hoping to sort this out. Thanks in advance for any help.
If it is going into limp mode in stock mode as well, I would pretty much rule out the Dinan tune as the issue.
Appreciate 0